Book a paid Consultation

491 - Skilled work regional visa

This visa is a temporary visa for skilled workers who want to live and work in regional areas within Australia (that is, outside Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne). This visa also allows a subsequent entrant (family members) of the main applicant who holds a 491 visa.

This visa opens a pathway for permanent residency.

It is important to remember that subclass 491 is managed by states and territories across Australia. Different occupation lists and eligibility requirements will apply accordingly depending on your chosen location.


For you to apply for this visa, you need to:

● Satisfy the points test criteria (65 points at least)

● Have an occupation relevant to the skilled occupation list on the state or territory chosen by the applicant

● Have a suitable skills assessment for the occupation (provisional skills assessment cannot be used)

● Be nominated to apply by a state or territory government agency OR eligible family member residing in a regional area

● If you are the subsequent entrant (family member), you can apply by being sponsored by the main applicant

● Be 45 years or under to apply

● Meet English language requirements

● Meet health requirements

● Have no debts to the Australian Government

what you can do on this visa

Once you hold a Skilled Work Regional Visa – 491, you are allowed to:

● Stay, work and study in Australia for 5 years in a designated area

● Travel as required from and to Australia as long as the Visa is valid


Some restrictions applied to Skilled Work Regional Visa – 491 are:

● The main applicant cannot marry or enter in a de facto relationship before applying for this Visa

● The main applicant and their family members can travel throughout Australia but must live, study and work in a designated regional area.

Upon successful completion of regional work and residing in a regional area for a period of at least three years, you may have the option to apply for Subclass 191 Visa.